October 21, 2018

What documents are required for a permit application?

  1. Three (3) sets of plans, drawn to scale, are required which include the following:
    1. A site plan showing the location of all property lines and existing and proposed structures. The use of each structure and the distances between them and to the property lines must also be indicated. An arrow indicating "North" is also required.
    2. A floor plan showing all walls, doors, windows, and the use of each room. Critical dimensions shall be indicated.
    3. Structural plans which include:
      • foundation plan
      • wall framing plan including required wall bracing
      • floor framing plan
      • roof framing plan or truss layout
      • cross section(s)
      • details of critical connections
      • statement of special inspections (if special inspections are required)
    4. All plans for commercial projects and multifamily dwellings must show compliance with California Disabled Access Regulations. All required access features, with dimensions, shall be clearly indicated on the plans. Certain items must also be addressed when additions, alterations or structural repairs are proposed as well.
    5. A complete electrical plan. (Residential plans must also show the locations of all required smoke detectors.)
    6. A complete plumbing and mechanical plan is required for most commercial projects, but not for residential projects unless unusual construction is proposed.
  2. Two (2) sets of structural calculations are required for most commercial projects and for all projects that are considered nonconventional construction. Unless specifically indicated otherwise by the Building Official, structural calculations shall include a complete vertical and lateral analysis. All construction requirements shown in the calculations shall be reflected on the plans. All structural calculations shall be stamped and signed by a qualified architect or engineer licensed by the State of California.
  3. A foundation and soils investigation is likely required per CBC chapter 18.
  4. Two (2) sets of (Title 24) Energy Documentation (if required).
  5. Other information is required such as names and addresses of the owner, contractor, engineer/architect, and the applicant.
  6. Contractors must provide Worker's Compensation Insurance information and a valid Contractor's License.
  7. This may not be a complete list. Other departments may be involved. Additional items may be required.


Public Services Building
2700 M Street, Suite 570
Bakersfield, CA 93301-2370

Phone: 661-862-5100 
FAX: 661-862-5101 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.